Sunday, February 21, 2010

Canoe by Keith Douglas




Canoe by Keith Douglas


Well, I am thinking this may be my last

summer, but cannot lose even a part

of pleasure in the old-fashioned art

of idleness. I cannot stand aghast


at whatever doom hovers in the background:

while grass and buildings and the somnolent river,

who know they are allowed to last forever,

exchange between them the whole subdued sound


of this hot time. What sudden fearful fate

can deter my shade wandering next year

from a return? Whistle and I will hear

and come again another evening, when this boat


travels with you alone toward Iffley:

as you lie looking up for thunder again,

this cool touch does not betoken rain;

it is my spirit that kisses your mouth lightly.


------


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keith_Douglas

3 comments:

  1. Clive James was discussing this poem tonight on Newsnight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks MacDuff, ill take a look for it on the iPlayer

      Delete